Life’s What You Make It – Changing Careers with David Taylor
For 21 years David has been making Dreams Come True in the most Magical company in the world. Now, he’s decided to rip the safety blanket off and completely change his life by going back to school and learning to become a teacher.
Despite being 39, having a career he was passionate about, financial and family responsibilities and being a carer for his Mum, David has made the decision and found a way to pursue a life-long dream. Along the way he has discovered this career change is not unusual, and there’s even a term for it - being a flipper!
He happens to be one of my closest friends and I’m so excited to welcome him onto the show.
Join us as we talk about:
- Surprising differences and similarities the link his past and future
- The bumps in the road along the way and the impact they had
- Support systems and how they can help and hinder the journey
- The one BIG thing that changed him from a Dreamer to a Doer
In this episode David shows that it may take some time, and there may be some challenges along the way, but you and anyone can be a Dreamer and a Doer.
- (4:20) The scary swaps all done in two months.
- (6:30) Combining a passion, a profession and a hobby.
- (10:30) Realising learning a new skill is possible.
- (20:17) The moment everything changes and how to make it work.
- (27:20) Family and financial responsibilities.
- (35:00) Letting others help and doing it for me.
- (43:46) What was the best and worst advice he received.
OWN SUPPORT CIRCLES
Welcome to David!
An experienced manager with The Walt Disney Company for over 20 years David has decided to follow his dreams and totally change his life. Just before his 40th birthday he's becoming a doer - walking away from it all to go right back to school to make his own dreams come true.